If you’re still looking for a New Year’s resolution that is good for you and you might actually be able to keep, why not try one of these…
1. Be more active whenever you can
Why not take the stairs instead of the lift?
If you have a desk-based job remember not to sit for too long. Take regular breaks and move away from your desk. Try to get out for a walk at lunchtime, and make the effort to get up and walk over to speak to colleagues face to face rather than over the telephone.
2. Make sure you are hydrated
Staying hydrated can make a huge difference to your health and well-being. It has been shown to reduce pain and fatigue and help with concentration.
3. Vary your training
Not everyone likes or enjoys going to the gym, but there are plenty of other activities you can do to benefit your health. Why not try a new exercise class, go out for a walk, join a dance class or join a sports team? Don’t forget; keep it regular so it becomes part of your life and not something to be seen as a chore.
4. Eat more fruit and vegetables
Try to achieve your ‘5-a-day’ as fruit and vegetables are full of fibre, vitamins and minerals that benefit your health. Try drinking fresh fruit juice, snack on fruit and raw veg and having a salad or vegetables with your meals.
5. And, of course, have regular massage!
Whilst it might feel like a luxury, there are lots of health benefits associate with having regular sports massage:
- Aid and speed up recovery from training/competitions
- Improve athletic performance and endurance
- Maintain muscle health and prevent injury
- Provide relief from the stresses and strains of everyday life
- Relieve tension or stiffness in over-used muscles
- Correct underlying postural problems
- Improve mobility and range of motion in joints
- Recover more quickly from an accident/injury
- Break down scar tissue/adhesions which may cause pain or restrict movement
- Improve circulation to encourage fresh blood and nutrients into muscles and soft tissues.
I hope 2018 is a year in which you achieve your goals. Good luck!